Statement of Objectives for the Society
1. To promote square and round dancing and the enjoyment thereof in the Province of Alberta
2. To cooperate with other Societies in the Province of Alberta having similar objects
3. To cooperate with other Societies in other Provinces of Canada having similar objects
4. To cooperate with the Canadian Square and Round Dance Society
5. To cooperate with other Societies having similar objects, as the Executive may consider from time to time appropriate
History of Alberta Square & Round Dance Federation (ASRDF)
A meeting was held in October of 1969 to put together ideas for an Alberta Federation.
A group of square dancers who camped together – the Wandering Squares – were the impetus for that first meeting.
In October 1972 the bylaws were drawn up and the first Alberta Square and Round Dance Federation meeting was held on April 6th, 1973. Seven ‘zones’ were formed in the province, each with its own executive. Some zones have both dancer and leader associations. Representatives from each zone form the executive of the Federation.